Hexagonal Binning Sometimes also called ：( Hexagonal Bin Plot )
Hexagonal Binning is another way to manage the problem of having to many points that start to overlap. Hexagonal binning plots density, rather than points. Points are binned into gridded hexagons and distribution (the number of points per hexagon) is displayed using either the color or the area of the hexagons.This technique was first described in 1987 (D.B.Carr et al. Scatterplot Matrix Techniques for large N, Journal of the American Statistical Association, No.389 pp 424-436).
There are many reasons for using hexagons instead of squares for binning a 2D surface as a plane. The most evident is that hexagons are more similar to circle than square. This translates in more efficient data aggregation around the bin center. This can be seen by looking at some particular properties of hexagons and, especially, of the hexagonal tessellation.
Tools & Codes - Hexagonal Binning
- 视频教程 (Power BI)
- 视频教程 (Tableau)
- 官方实例-篮球场场景 (ECharts)
- 官方实例-直角坐标系 (AntV)
- 基础教程 (D3)
- 使用d3 hexbin plugin (D3)
- 用d3给六边形分箱图添加边界 (D3)
- matplotlib方法 (matplotlib)
- pandas方法 (matplotlib)
- 官方文档及案例 (gglpot2)
Reference - Hexagonal Binning
- ferdio. (n.d.). Hexagonal Binning.
- Booden, B. (2014). Hexagonal Binning #QlikSense extension vs scatter plot of real data. Getting there! .
- from Data to Viz. (n.d.). 2D DENSITY PLOT.
- 视物 | 致知. (2012). 热火战雷霆.
- Highcharts. (n.d.). U.S. states by population in 2016 .
- Jorge Martinez-Rey. (2017). Hexagonal binning is so cute.
- Whyte, J. (2017). Making a Hex Bin Layer for Greater Manchester.
- Stucchio, C. (2012). Don't use Scatterplots.
- Sheinin, D. and Emamdjomeh, A. (2017). These days in baseball, every batter is trying to find an angle.
- Campanelli, L. (n.d.). O-BOX HYPER-CONVERGED CLOUD PLATFORM.
- Pragmatic Works. (2016). Power BI Custom Visuals - Hexbin Scatterplot.
- SuperDataScience. (2017). TABLEAU HEXBINS CHART PART I.
- Echarts team. (n.d.). Kawhi Leonard.
- AntV team. (n.d.). 分块热力图(六边形).
- Bostock, M. (2018). D3 Hexbin.
- Bremer, N. (2013a). Creating hexagonal heatmaps with d3.js.
- Bremer, N. (2013b). Adding boundaries inside a hexagonal heatmap with d3.js.
- matplotlib team. (n.d.). pylab_examples example code: hexbin_demo.py.
- pandas team. (n.d.). pandas.DataFrame.plot.hexbin.
- ggplot2 team. (n.d.). Hexagonal heatmap of 2d bin counts.